This magic sauce is called makgeolli and is a native and staple alcoholic drink in almost every Korean’s diet. This milky colored carbonated rice wine has a slightly sweet, smooth taste that you simply cannot get enough of.
The drink has a lower alcohol content at 6% (wine is 12%, soju is 25%) but we always feel a nice, light buzz even after sharing one bottle. Like a lot of Korean foods, makgeolli is made through a fermentation process. This fermentation process is popular in Korea and adds a lot of nutritional value. Believe it or not, makgeolli has many nutritional benefits!
Sounds too good to be true right? See the list of benefits below!
Health Benefits of Makgeolli
- Contains at least 10 amino acids –some of which are beneficial for your skin!
- Low in calories! 46 kcal per 100 ml (almost half as much as wine!)
- High in dietary fiber and has gastrointestinal benefits
- Contains more farnesol than beer or wine (helps prevent tumors & anti-bacterial properties)
- Is said to slow down the aging process!
- Strengthens the immune system
- A good source of protein
- Helps with menopausal disorders
- Contains Vitamin B & C
- Contains bacteria that fights inflammation or cancer in the intestines
Pro TipMake sure you shake your makgeolli properly to mix the sediments from the bottom, but not too hard or it will explode!
We love this drink and now that we know these benefits we drink at ease! Share with us your favorite makgeolli experience below!
Share this Post